Monday, November 23, 2009

big strong men and a moving van

foot down.

we're not buying this house. should the heavens open up, angels drift forth and hand me an incredibly large sum of cash to be used only for the purchase of this property...

I'd say no.

TOO.MUCH.WORK.

I've had the shit (and vomit) kicked out of me for the last two...or more, I can't remember...months and DO NOT FEEL like ripping out a kitchen, replacing a bathroom, putting in a new furnace or having the trees trimmed.

oqui's got a bum shoulder, so whatever work we might've thought to do ourselves and save some money....so not gonna happen. hiring people to do the work would put us so far over our (imaginary) budget that we might as well just declare bankruptcy now.

so....today we go a'looking. we've got a short list. 6 properties. 4 school districts. prices all over the place...

one of them...will be our new home.

we're gonna lose a little chunk of money walking on this deal, but...

I don't give a hairless rat's hiney.

this place is bad news....has been from the start and we are OUTTA HE'RHE!



...oqui hates my guts over it (as does our realtor)...


but he'll just have to deal.

2 comments:

Oak said...

For the record, my shoulder is not a handicap. I am willing and very capable to do some of the work to save coin. Although there is certainly some work that I have no experience in doing, so outside help would be needed. We have a extended family member with plenty of experience and we could obviously pay him (under the table) to assist.

The little chunk of money that we stand to lose is more like $1000 deposit on this house, another $1000 for another deposit, $485 for a new inspection, and any associated new credit checks and rent for December at the least.

Financially and spatially, I believe the current house fits the bill(s). What doesn't fit is the fact that, yes, the house will be dirty for a period of time, and paint fumes will exist.

At this point, the money we would save in rent and/or mortgage payments for December and January would pay for the absolutely necessary improvements.

I don't hate ya yet, frustrated? Hell yes, but I think it's the best option for our family...which is what I'm thinking about, in the long run.

5 years out, this house will be worth more than what we paid and more than what we plan on repairing.

My 5 cents...(which I will still have if we stay put)

Suki said...

no.no.no.

this house is NOT a good financial decision...

NOR do I feel like being a home-improvement widow for the next 8 years while you polish door knobs and repair plumbing.

I spend ALL DAY chasing a child around (soon to be two)...when you get home I need your involvement...

not your fumes.

I wanna move.

make it happen.