Sunday, August 3, 2008

stretch, 2, 3, 4...

baby'nomics. I can stretch a dollar til it screams...WHEN I wake up early enough to hit the yard sales and flea markets.

$15 @ a yard sale:


there are 64...count them SIXTY-FOUR, pieces of baby clothing on that bed. I was digging through a quarter box (I <3 rich people's left-overs, btw)...and finally got sick of it and just said to the woman, "I'll give you what I've got in my pocket for the whole box." that turned out to be $15...in Oqui's pocket, and we were set. I evened jewed her into throwing in a few "pricier" items (at 2 bucks each) for free.

$20 @ a yard sale:


now, we add to that the $4.50 worth of toys purchased at the neighbor's yard sale and we're up to $19.50. we actually spent a whole $20...cause I had to toss a few quarters at the chic's kids to get some chocolate chip cookies to keep oqui from running home. (it was early...he was tired.)

$20 @ yard sales + gifts from family and friends:



all of yesterday's purchases, plus the stuff already recieved as gifts (gotta LOVE those cute lil baby Gap outfits a la caroline)...and the bed's getting fuller...and I'm still only $20 in.

$28 @ yard sales + gifts:

adding to the pile are a few things I picked up at yet another yard sale a few weeks ago. on his way back to work from lunch oqui gave me a call, "I see a bunch of baby stuff on a lawn...you better get down here." right-o, chief. $8 got me two boxes of toys and some books and cd's.

have I mentioned I love this shit?


$20 @ a flea market. of course, the pink will have to go...but come on! it was 20 bones:



actually...I didn't even pay for this one. I was set up at a flea market to aid and assist in purging the clutter from this house...a flea market that I didn't end up making any money at b/c:

1. I gave all the clothing away for free to my students and their families

2. we spent whatever else we earned on really cool antique gadgets.

my grandmother happened to stop by and buy me the chair I was eyeing up...and also gave oqui a 20 spot when I wasn't looking. so, come to think of it...without g-ma's contribution, the flea market would've been a negative net proposition. it was fun to see some of my students and help a few families out. it was also pretty cool that when the flea market was over...15 people all bee-lined it to goodwill to get rid of the rest of the shit they had left over. I managed to score a few more toys, an easel, a couple of bathseats and give away some more of my crap waiting in line to donate.

of course, not every baby purchase is a good deal. there are some things you just HAVE to have...or just HAVE TO HAVE new. a few are as follows:



$28 @ babies r' us for the 'pah's b-day:



we're not irish, but the 'pah was born on st. patty's day...and we had just found out the news. we both got teary eyed imagining a lil monker in those clothes. my first baby purchases for this child. I've already got the really embarrassing pics planned out in my head.


$34 @ Cirque d'Soleil:



jingle ball and rattle. waaaaaaaaaay too expensive, but HOW FUCKING CUTE ARE THEY???? and that circus rawked.

$35 @ an atlantic city claw machine:


my mother...is stubborn. she refused to stop playing til she won this mofo. it's ugly as sin, stuffed with styrofoam and to date...the most expensive thing we have for this child. go figure.

not pictured are my $5 swing and walker, shopping cart cover, blankies, a gazillion toys and a carrier all procured via yard sales for less than $15.

craig's list is my new best friend.

all this misering around is quite vital, mind you...being that we've made our diaper choice and its mega expensive.

check these puppies out:

the best diapering option on earth

they're bio-degradable (I actually cried when I saw their video comparing diapers in a landfill), are made from sustainably harvested tree products, manufactured under fair labor conditions, FLUSHABLE and compostable, and don't require ANY energy or water to launder.

I'm hooked. they cost about three times what disposables do...but quite frankly, this is one area I'm willing to splurge on. I was conflicted about the environmental impacts of cloth diapers, adamantly opposed to disposables and wondering what I was going to use to cover the kid's yunk.

viola!


now we just need:

a crib, a hammock, some seats, socks, warm sleepers, breast pump (shudder), changing table, playpen, stroller, car seats...

oh, boy. I suddenly don't feel so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that cool? Finding stuff that you LIKE, too. We have yard sales here but with the 100 degree days and me hating to deal, I miss out! Mas stuffs coming your way, too. I have the Baby Bjorn all set to go in @ 2 weeks. Whee. The sling might be too big for you though (I'm 5'8 and you are a petite lil thing) but I cannot freaking wait to see pictures of the sprout. October! So soon!!!!!!
And I picked out what we are getting you guys for when he is born. It's so cute.

PS- being cheapsters we are now we no longer have picture phone options on our cell package. So I think you sent me some pics but I couldn't open them up:(