Monday, August 6, 2007

again with the riding...

what am I? a mountain biker or some shit???

once again I found myself on a trail (at some undisclosed location that we were all forced to take a pill after the ride to forget about entirely) this weekend with a bunch of dudes WAY more skilled than I...

loving it.

mike was completely awesome. talked me through some streams (just go straight) over some tri-logs (they're built up on the other side. keep your body low to the bike and your momentum forward) and made my bike somewhat workable.

great teacher and guide. definitely wanna ride with him, again.

joel as usual, climbs like a goat and gives good pounds. he even gave me one or two "you go, girl"s when I kept pedaling past them at the rest points so I could lead for 14 or 15 seconds before someone (joel) was bearing down on me, again.

oqui took his shirt off. nuff said.

and matt, dearest boy...brought up the tail end of the pack and made me FOR ONCE not the slowest ass in the group.

I love you, Matt.

I fell like forty-three million times (I can now successfully pull off a two-handed-protect-my-face bounce off a tree without even leaving the seat of my bike) and rode two gears the whole time (not intentionally, mind you)...

for once, I finished up a ride feeling completely spent. wait...I was completely spent halfway through. tired and sloppy suki hits alot of trees, ya know.

the rest of the weekend involved a camping trip with the kid (boys. she and her friend spent the entire time with ninth grade boys. somebody please fucking shoot me, now) some drunken remembrance of college days (not mine, thankfully), running into a few climbing friends in a town not of my own, and some really excellent pine nut couscous.

and of course...monday hookie playing all around.

I swear not a soul on earth went to work today.

good times.

5 comments:

Kim said...

big log-overs? say these words to yourself as you approach (with no hesitation):
"It's just a big pile of dirt...it's just a big pile of dirt!"
Not that you need any advice...sounds like you are doing just fine :)

forty f15teen said...

i paid a pretty penny for some sloppy suki in a dark alley one time.

Frank Brigandi said...

Go to a book store.....or online and buy this book "Themountain bike way of knowledge, by William Nealy" it is single handedly the best technical guide (and comical) approach to actually mountain biking. It teaches you technique, how to read a trail, wheretoput your caboose, and what not to do.... it is very awesome, everyone who has ever perused the pages of that little funny book, is astonished at it's technical merit and sound advice. The cartoons bring it all together and it makes sense....

Keith said...

I don't mountain bike, what with the paucity of mountains here in Florida, but I do love me some pine nut couscous!

danger monkey said...

Sounds like you're getting out a lot. It'll be fun when we can get out. You seem to be trying everything full force. Beautiful!
By the way, don't worry about only using a couple gears. I usually ride in the same 3 almost always.

You rock!

monkey