Monday, November 3, 2008

and just like that...

I'm not pregnant anymore.

we have a beautiful (as yet to be named because he won't look us in the eye) baby boy.

I've been trying for a day and a half to find the words to accurately describe my birthing experience...and haven't been able to come up with them. it was the singular most amazing event of my life.

my water broke sunday morning at 3:25. wasn't really having contractions (at least no stronger than what I've been having for 4 months)...and thought I would maybe get some sleep til around 8 or so.

nothing doing.

he was born at 7:20.

I called the doulas first and told them, "nah. I don't think I need you yet." then I called the midwife. same deal. "nope. don't come yet." I walked around for an hour or so trying to clean up...then it occurred to me, "oh dear lord. I'm having a baby...like NOW."

the doulas got here just after 5 and i was already laboring in the tub. let me tell anyone who reads this:

HIRE A BIRTH DOULA.

they were absolutely stellar. between oqui, Lasi and Danielle I managed to birth my son with less than 2 1/2 hours of active labor (I'm going with 4 hours total) and five minutes of pushing.

no drugs. no hospital. NO FEAR.

when the midwife got here I was 7cm dilated...less than an hour later, he was born. in the very bed he was conceived in.

all the reading I've done during pregnancy really emphasizes the pain and mental anguish of labor and delivery.

so. not. true.

with the proper support and relaxation, the kind of birthing experience I had IS NORMAL.

the norm. common. typical.

I only wish I had discovered my power and strength with my first child...

then I might not have been too scared for 13 years to try it, again.

the as-of-yet-to-be-named baby is gorgeous, gentle and the sweetest thing I've ever seen.



...I think I'm going to demand a DNA test...just to make sure he's mine.


HIRE A BIRTH DOULA.

8 comments:

samantha said...

That is awesome. Congrats.

Big Mike said...

Another 21 hours and the country will decide on a name. Clock's ticking...

Kevin said...

Dude, that ROCKS!

Congratulations

andy said...

woohoo! how exciting! very happy that the experience was beyond your expecations.

Darling And So Charming said...

I am SO proud of you! And happy. I kinda think it's cool you are waiting to name him to make sure it's right.
SO GODDAMNED HAPPY!

I think you should share this story as much as you can. I went for the epidural right away b/c I was so freaked by the stories from co workers and what I read (there IS such a thing as reading too much on that stuff I discovered..) and now think I want to try this with m y next. I do.

I know you m ust be insanely busy and all of that but when you get a picture or two... cough cough..

:)

I'm so happy for you guys. And so damned happy you got to have him the way you wanted. No doubt it will make your bond with him that much stronger..

PSS_ Adore the tags on here. AWw, we call our pea 'Love of my life' all the time... so true.

xoxo

Darling And So Charming said...

I took the baby into the booth with me (on my hip in his sling...almost too big now:( And we voted for mister O. And I am saving my receipt and giving it to him and telling him he was there with me! Whooo!

Glad your baby is starting his life with no McCain in office..

Judi said...

Congrats! I hope he doesn't get vacciness for at least a year too!

Liz Schleeper said...

SWEET, great stuff. Congrats to everyone!