Thursday, December 27, 2007

I just heard...



^ my favorite photo of her

Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in Pakistan.

She was one of the most well-spoken, beautiful and impressive women I've ever had the pleasure of meeting...and very much a symbol of feminine strength and grace for my daughter and I.

my mother fears the effects of a civil war in Pakistan, while I fear a world where female leaders are gunned down.

gunmen and suicide bombers murdered 20 people today...130 in a prior attack on her cavalcade.

deplorable.

while I'll agree that assasination is quite the effective political tool...if of course, one is interested in inspiring rioting, rebellion and retribution.

but didn't anyone tell these assholes...

it isn't nice to hit girls.

elected TWICE to office in a male dominated and domineering muslim society. deposed TWICE on charges of corruption. exiled. murdered.

I will mourn her loss, and pray (in my own way) that her assasination does not push an unstable region over the edge.


things like this...

make me rethink wanting to have children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope a few borderline people in that part of the world will see this atrocity for what it is and seek to be just a little bit better.

What a shame for Pakistan and the world.

Liz Schleeper said...

I am with you on this one. What amazing courage she had. Tragic ending to an amazing life.