Friday, January 23, 2009

paradigm shift

I'm not very particular. I am (despite my ranting and raving here...or perhaps BECAUSE of it) fairly easy-going. I'd say that I'm not too terribly tough to live with, either. I go with the flow, don't make a ton of demands and I don't make waves unless seriously provoked.

consider me provoked. I've reached my saturation point. having spent the last several lifetimes (I meant months) in this house, I'm beginning to (finally) get a little territorial.

AND RIGHTFULLY SO.

I take care of business in the house the VAST vast VAST majority of the time, and deserve a little respect of my "personal space"...which, unfortunately, is now the living room. this pisses me off in a lot of regards, but mainly because I used to define my personal space or sanctuary as a forest or mountain top...and have now been relegated to the confines of a house I don't even want...watching a television I can most certainly live without.

and that's where today's straw that broke my back comes into play. I use the TV and DVD player more like a stereo than anything else, and I tend to put Dido (I know. there's no accounting for taste) in when the Prof naps. Today I was zoning out in front of the TV praying that he was actually going to sleep and started doodling in the dust.

it turned into a full screen, somewhat intricate design. it was lame and pretty sissy-like...but it was mine. I needed to relax. I'm burnout. I need a break (more so than just saying "I need a break" can actually convey), and this was the first minorly creative effort I've put forth in a very long time.

it was goofy, but I was proud of it...

and oqui destroyed it within 2 minutes of coming home.

I think he was stunned by how seriously upset about this I am. you just don't go kicking down other people's sand castles. it's inconsiderate, unfair and just plain ol' mean spirited.

he apologized several million times, all the while giggling. dismissing me. trivializing how trully disappointed I was.

if you don't actually feel remorse for something you've done...don't use the word sorry. it's just poor show.

and it isn't just sand castles. I'm coming to realize that, while loving this man to death, I don't always enjoy living with him. sharing living space with other people takes practice and effort. I'm well practiced and put forth a good effort.

I feel more and more often that he does not.

"why is there a wipe here???"
"NOW where are the clothes???"
"you're not watching THIS, are you?"
"why did you do this?"
"why don't you do that?"

I feel like because I'm no longer contributing financially to the household, that I've suddenly, somehow, lost my voting power. like he's opportunistically taking advantage of my sudden lack of perceived power. this, obviously, is not going to work for me.

this morning, he thought it would be clever to intentionally make noise while I was trying to put the Prof back to sleep. very funny. very funny, indeed.

so in turn...I waited until he was good and soaped up and turned off the bathroom light and flushed the toilet. after closing the lid, I even did a little victory dance on the pot.

it was my humorous attempt at a warning shot.

I'm done being the accomodating one. please, oh please, please heed the warning.

there is going to be a major paradigm shift around here one way or another.

either EVERYONE starts making compromises and allowances equally...

or teh suki is going to start voicing her opinions more and more frequently on the matter. I WILL BE CONSIDERED. MY CONCERNS WILL NOT BE IGNORED OR SUBJUGATED. MY SPACE, NEEDS AND DESIRES ARE NOT MEANINGLESS.

I'M FED UP.

...i'm half tempted to build a block tower in the living room. taunting him. BEGGING him to destroy it, so I can justifiably flip the fuck out.

4 comments:

Suki said...

I have honestly edited this post 8 times, already.

always more I could say.

shame of it is...I have to say it here in order to be "heard" without an immediate defensive response...instead of face-to-face, person-to-person.

INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING.


...I think I'm going to go burn something, now.

Oak said...

Why do you think that I have it out for you? I did NOT intentionally make noise this morning. My lack of awareness for said noise can most likely be attributed to the new found hearing loss thanks to Mr. Crankbutt. You think I do things intentionally...I do not.

Your lack of financial contribution is not a harping point nor is it a mantle on which a power play is based. Perhaps you can enlighten me about how I have yet to make compromises or be accomodating?

However, your insinuation that the 'vast' majority of the business in the house is not shared is incorrect. Perhaps because you spend the days, cooped up inside, changing dirty diapers, wiping tears, cleaning spit-ups and rocking the Professor, it seems that you are doing more than your fair share in the house. I'd like to point out that household business is significantly more equalized than you are leading folks to believe. A discussion about where I lack in assistance is obviously needed. Cause, I think I do a hell of a lot. And to suggest here that I don't is rude and incorrect. IMHO.

I'm stuck in the same house that neither of us want, watching other people climb, and ski and be generally active and wishing that we were too. I spend my day working, coming home and realizing that it's 11:00 and I still haven't eaten.

-BREAK-

I AM sincerely sorry I destroyed the dust art. I was unaware of how much that seemingly goofy thing meant to Dear Suki. I realized the seriousness of her reaction after my inconsiderate giggle bout, and look forward to a block castle in the middle of the living room when I get home.

We shall leave the confines of the house this weekend and do what ever you want. (I just need to clean and pay bills, buy a battery for your car, and fix that effing light.)

Suki said...

psssht.

nigga, please.

Darling And So Charming said...

I hope you get out to play and ground yourselves (both of you need to for your sanity I'm sure) in the great outdoors. I know if it wasn't for my long walks when Bri gets home along the trail I would. FREAK. (sidebar: The city chopped a buncha bamboo groves down god know why. My trail is crap now and I literally screamed 'fuckers!' as I walked through yesterday...) being at home with an infant, a colic but no less is one of the hardest things. I hope it evens out for you soon and you can create a space your yourself too. Hang in there, both of you.

XOX