Wednesday, June 6, 2007

roots

did a two hour ride at blue marsh today.

and I went over roots! (some more successfully than others)

almost slid off the edge once into the stream down near the stillage basin after whacking my pedal into a tree...and while I saw my limbs (literally) flash before my eyes...I wasn't scurred.

not even for a second.

liberation!

after that near miss I found I was WAAAY more confident on the downhills. I still can't climb for shit...but I set myself a goal. there's one hill I tried three times tonight and couldn't make it up...not even once. halfway was my limit.

I'm gonna own its ass by summer's end.

I found out that I've got decent (rock climber's) balance so I'm not to shabby at keeping it together over sissy baby chicken obstacles. I can maneuver THROUGH things...just not UP things, quite yet. I also realized that if I shift my gear from the most difficult one (would that be high or low? nobody said the girl was bright)...I can climb an extra three or four inches before stalling. standing completely still. eventually losing my balance. then putting foot to ground.

the hub is really REALLY into this whole mountain biking thing. he used to ride a ton as a kid (I didn't) and is feeling all sorts of nostalgic. he even went so far as to say that mountain biking is going to be for him what kung fu was for me.

whoa.

I'm gonna need to really improve my (lack o') skeels. this boy aint playing.

he's already looking for a fixed gear bike to deck out all hipster style...

to put a license plate under the seat that says "poser."

nice.

I better take up my kung fu again...

to keep him from getting his ass beat.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You'll own that hill sooner than you think...
Now I'm nostalgic for blue marsh!

Keith said...

Thanks to you, I now have "Kung Fu Fighting" rolling through my head.

Those cats were fast as lightning...