Monday, April 16, 2007

"your body will let you know"

been feeling pooey. kinda cranky. climbing below peak. suspecting pregnancy (nooooooooooo!) or any other yick inducing condition...and have been just plain blah.

until sunday morning when it escalated to full-blown oh-dear-lord-what-has-invaded-my-body??? woke up at six am feeling coughy and scratchy. by noon I was whooped. by six pm I barely had a voice and by ten I was in the ER owing to a short-lived by hardcore allergy reaction to an herbal throat spray. couldn't breathe. thought I was gonna die.

8 hours, a negative pregnancy test *does happy dance* and a set of chest x-rays later I was told I have 'the' pnuemonia and need to take this pill. pill handed to me. no food or tylenol in about ten hours. slightly oxygen deprived...I take it with only minor hesitation.

me: I hate antibiotics.
doctor: I know. Now, take it.

I was also told that competing this weekend was "inadvisable" and that I'd need to take it easy "for a few." when asked to clarify what precisely "a few" meant, I was told that my body would let me know what level of activity was appropriate.

ha. fucking. ha, douchebag. you OBVIOUSLY don't know the suki very well. how many humans on earth end up in the ER one night with pneumonia having ZERO clue that they were even sick to begin with. he was all "have you been sick?" I was all "nopers. just hit me outta nowhere this morning" he was all "yeah. whatev"

pnuemonia is a process. you don't just 'catch' it. some other little nasty snakes its way into your system, sets up shop, and when good and comfy makes the money move to your lungs.

sheet. I'm so dense when it comes to taking care of myself that I completely missed the signs of something sinister coming (like passing out at the crag last sunday (and the wednesday before that), feeling like worm food for several weeks prior, and oh...I don't know...JUST BEING WEAK AND SICK).

so when homeskillet isn't willing to offer me a DEFINITE time frame for required rest...I get a little nervous. I suck at self-regulating and am willing to bet thirteen pesos and a stick of bubble gum that I'm saying I'm all healed up and doing more damage before I know what hits me.

moderation, matty says. I'll try to keep those words echoing through my dome in the weeks to come.

what might make the total rest phenom a bit easier is that the ER douche put me on a gorilla-cillin type antiobiotic that is, get this...

linked to tendon rupture.

my god, man. what WERE you thinking? I'm a rock-climbing, tendon-abusing fool. switching antiobiotics is POSSIBLE, but not a good call (monster bug, anyone?)...

so I'll stay the course and keep the fingies safe by avoiding my one (non-sexual) physical passion...

and eating lots of chocolate.

thank you, doctor I-don't-give-a-fudge for effing up my training...

and making me fat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take the drugs and listen to Matty!

Suki said...

no.

I meant:

NO!!!!!!! I DON'T WANNA! I DON'T WANNA! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME. I DON'T WAN....

danger monkey said...

I heard about your nasty illness. I hope you feel better soon. You take care of yourself and watch all that chocolate, it's evil!