Wednesday, January 23, 2008

a little help here.

I volunteered to write the letters to local (and corporate) merchants requesting donations for my brother-in-law and nieces.

Lowe's
Home Depot
grocery stores
clothing stores
art supply stores

we're requesting supply donations in excess of thirty thousand dollars.

how do I even START that letter?

Dear Da Man,

Please give me cheddah. It fo a good cause. A family be in need. You gots lots o' da green backs. Hook a sista up, yo.

Love,
Da Suki


^ my best attempt, yet.

I'm thinking it'll be a no go in its current state. any suggestions? can somebody hook a suki up, please?

as for hooking up...my bin (bro in law) has been getting lots of help. I showed up yesterday to photograph the house and he had half a dozen friends volunteering their time (and money) to get the clean up started. the local pizza joint even sent over some pies free of charge. all day people came by offering condolences...

and help.

warmed my heart. I like people, again.

now I just have to convince them to give me their money.

churches, food banks, furniture stores, friends...

give me all yo stuff, foos.


megA asked where she could send some help. warmed my heart.

I suppose I'll come up with an answer to that ASAP and bother all of you incessantly for your pocket change (and mexican massages) for the next six months.

so in advance:

fank you fo all da help (and rubs), my niggaz.

Suki

5 comments:

nPlusOne said...

Sorry to hear of your family's loss.
You may want to open an account at a local bank for people and corporations to send thier Benjamins. It'll probably look better when you write Home Depot to have them send money to Bank of (___) c/o "Suki's BIN burned down house fund" vs. asking them to cut a check to Suki.
Don't forget to get this out to the local media too - paper and tv.
There's also online tools that you put on your blog and other websites that people can donate funds online by a click of a mouse.

ps - being married to a teacher (in a lower income/at-risk area), I fully relate and enjoy your school-related posts.

Kevin said...

I got one word----HOT!
Some people like snuggly bears...

Kim said...

Let me know when you have a fund set up or where I can send a gift card.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Let me know what size the girls are. I may be able to get samples from work for them.
Sorry to hear about your family's loss. Let me know what I can do... meals and stuff.

megA said...

I'll keep checking back.

glad i could give you a warmer-upper. . .

my house burnt down my first year after college--don't smoke get high and ignore your hippie candles for six hours kiddies!

the kindness of the neighbors bringing me and my roommates toothbrushes, deodorant and soap--even though we were the asshole-college-fuck-biker house and they were normal-family types has stayed with me always.

of course, the mental picture of the firefighters dancing to OPP (yeah you know me) in the street while their buddies chucked my belongings out a second story window will also always stay with me.. .

so yeah--i'm in to help.

xo
m