Wednesday, March 12, 2008

my answer to the allegations

Mr. T,

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all of the inconvenience, stress and concern this incident has caused; not just for you and Mrs. F, but mostly for the students and families involved. When I go to work in the morning, the very last thing I want to do is walk away from a day having left a child feeling uncomfortable. I know that these children (and families) are under stress to begin with...and never intend to add to that. My intentions are, quite literally, just the opposite of that.

Secondly, I'll specifically address what I understand to be the parents' concerns. I did toss two markers during the course of the day in Mrs. Conrad's classroom. The first time I threw it towards the back of the classroom to hit the closet door. I elicited approximately two dozen giggles. All eyes were on me; smiling- the desired effect. When substituting, I make every effort to identify personally with each child, but sometimes do not have the time to learn each child's name. If I remember correctly this room had 18 or 19 little girls in it making it nearly impossible, without a seating chart, to learn their names.Therefore I often employ some rather energetic and eccentric techniques to gain the class's attention.

I've been known to walk around the room on desks, "accidentally" drop a stack of books or metal mug, tap the leg of a chair with my foot, flash the lights, clap a rhythm, clear my throat with exaggeration and mimicry (ie. imagine an elephant rolling it's eyes) and other assorted techniques probably taught in clown college or juggling school.

Let's just say that I tend to perform. The second marker that I tossed was meant to hit the front whiteboard. At this point there were 32 children in the room for Math Intervention, and as far as I could tell...it was going extremely well. Every seat in the room was filled, and the majority of the children were engaged, focused and interested in the lessons (probably because their goofy substitute was dancing around the room, picking "teacher's helpers" to review the problems with them). When I tossed the second marker, again, it was meant to elicit giggles, get their eyes on me, and recenter the group. My only guess as to why this incident is being misinterpreted, specifically, is because several of the children had not spent the beginning of the day with me and had not been previously introduced to my "style."

I admit fully to the above things and am, quite frankly, saddened by such a negative reaction to playful, well-intentioned "fooling." It saddens me that a family would have such difficulty interpreting a friendly gesture. I NEVER walk into a classroom with intention of causing harm, and when I leave one having done so...I have, regardless of intention, failed at my job.

There are other accusations, however, that I can not answer. At no point during the day did I hit a child with a tape dispenser. I don't know what incident is being referring to and can only answer that with an "It didn't happen." I would also like to offer the same statement for any allegations of hitting, kicking or otherwise physically harming a child. It, quite simply, did not happen.

I am in these schools everyday with the intention of offering some perspective and a smiling face from an adult who is approachable. I teach them environmental lessons. I try to teach them self-confidence, by encouraging students to stand up and "use their teacher voices." I always encourage them to do their best. I attempt to show them ways to improve themselves, make a difference, show kindness...and most importantly, develop drive and initiative. I do NOT go there to ridicule, attack or harm.

I am afraid both my intentions and actions have been misinterpreted.

I believe that if I had had the opportunity to meet with the parents initially, I would have been able to convince them of my intentions and diffuse the situation. I am, quite obviously, very upset that it has come this far. I would ask, however, that personal information such as my cell phone number not be given to any more parents. When I answered the phone call from Miss Rodriguez, I began the conversation as if she were a district employee, and was shocked to find that she was not.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any further information and assistance in this matter. My hope is that some way is found to still diffuse it. While I would love for the parents to find some measure of comfort in this, more importantly...I will do anything within my power to ease the children's concerns.

Sincerely,
"Miss Suki"

1 comment:

Oak said...

Well played, and puts the ball in the admin's court. Where this should have been dealt with in the first place. The fact that your number was given directly to a parent is utterly unacceptable.

Your frustrations with the administration may be exacerbated or quelled with their reaction to the situation that has unfortunately snowballed into a plethora of unfounded accusations.

By the way Ms. C used to jab pencils into our arms, and use her pointed witch high heels into our feet, Mr. P through chalkboard erasers at our heads for chewing gum, Mr. F used pressure points to his advantage...These kids are being raised by folks that believe that they are constantly being taken advantage of yet as is human nature, they are taking advantage of a pussified public school system. People are fucked up, schools are fucked up, but when these fucked up people start fucking with Miss Suki and the Pah, the Pah feels like fucking shit up.

But alas, we are above this intolerable and deplorable behavior and are relying on the school's administration to apply the correct judgement and action. Let's see how they treat those that are actually trying to make a difference in these kid's lives in a positive manner.

Just remember this, you cannot be everything to every child. In overcrowded and underprivaleged classes you are spectacular, ask the 'officius' teachers that have already given you praise for your work with these troubled youths.