Tuesday, July 17, 2007

vulnerable

not a good day, today.

my daughter's paternal grandmother (bitch) somehow got her claws on the kid. bought her a new cell phone (WHO does she think she is???? she has a plan. she has a mother. she (the grandwitch) needs to step off).

I get a message "G, it's Bayley. Got a new phone. Give me a call. Later."

hold up. wait.

did the kid just call me by my first name?
did she really just inform ME that she got a new phone?
did she end a message with "later" and not "I love you"?

what the fuck is going on?

when I called her back, her grandmother accused me of only caring about myself (ever). refused to return the child to me...and worked her into hysterics within three minutes. for some reason scott's mother is obviously upset about my impending divorce...and taking yet another opportunity to judge me.

I'm three hours away without my own car...how can I possibly choke the life out of this fucking bitch through the phone?

at first I was livid. then I was anxious.

then I caved. I thought his entire family was in on it. they wanted the kid for themselves. they were going to mount another attempt at custody (not that their little injunction to keep me from moving out of the county TO GO TO COLLEGE a decade back wasn't fun and all...)...that they were poisoning her against me...

that they were making her unnecessarily sad.

see, I asked her dad to keep her for a few days while things were sorted out here. its been amicable...but I didn't want the kid to see tears and lose faith in marriage. be exposed unnecessarily. get sad.

so what does his mother up and do (why would she DO that?)?

makes her sad. I've never heard my child more hysterical.

I've been working in Baltimore this week. LOOONG days away from home. I'm tired. I'm still not feeling well and I haven't slept more than four hours a night in three days.

I'm vulnerable.

I envisioned custody proceedings during which I was drug through the mud...rather convincingly, I might add. everything that I think of as fun or quirky about myself was used against me.

I was judged for NOT working. I was judged FOR working. I was attacked for my relationships. Getting kicked out of med school. owning pitbulls. driving a blue car...

just being me.

but worst of all...the kid was going along with it. she didn't want to come home.

I called my mother. I texted my friends....I got such little support. why? one of my friends actually said to me "you have to think about what's best for bayley. not you." isn't it obvious that being with ME is what's best for the kid?

more importantly....isn't it obvious to the kid???

I just had another phone conversation with her during which she was inexplicably upset...and still didn't want to not stay and hang out with her dad.

apparently I'm a giant fucking asshole for thinking this would be easy...especially for her. apparently I'm a giant fucking asshole for trusting her father to protect her emotionally.
apparently I'm a giant fucking asshole for thinking she'd want to see me.

apparently, I have this coming...

6 comments:

Rachael said...

From what I have seen you have a great relationship with your kid. You are just all churned up right now. Go climb a rock and have a beer, all will be better soon!

Suki said...

thanks, rachael.

I'm going to have a talk with her today.

I think I know what I did wrong. she's been so mature about this whole thing...and I kinda got spazzy when she didn't call me mommy. I wouldn't let her grow up for a second. I need her to still need me.

I think by not letting her go, I inadvertantly shattered her coping mechanism.

she trusts me. I can fix it...

and never do it, again.

Anonymous said...

You're a fabulous mom and never forget it.
Chin up!
Love ya!

Keith said...

All I can do is offer you a hug from here. It ain't much, I know, but it's here for you anyway...

You sounds like a great mom. In times like these, feelings go every which direction, ball up in knots, fly like fur in a catfight, then settle to the ground like feathers. Remember that feelings aren't facts, and that this too shall pass. Sometimes things pass about as comfortably as a kidney stone, but they pass nonetheless.

Just keep communicating with the kid, and keep sharing to get the poison out.

Frank Brigandi said...

When other relatives give kids presents that good. Giving her an escape valve (phone) that's bad... it's like saying, if mommy is a bitch, call Grammsy wammsy I'll come save you.... it's selfish and dememted. Take it away from her and give it back to the radmother who legally has no rights at all, and has to get your approval for such things.

Darling And So Charming said...

I get a message "G, it's Bayley. Got a new phone. Give me a call. Later."

hold up. wait.

did the kid just call me by my first name?
did she really just inform ME that she got a new phone?
did she end a message with "later" and not "I love you"?

what the fuck is going on?
***********

Sorry I laughed so hard I choked. You are priceless even when upset. I love love love it. And I am sure your precious B does too.